But we’re hurtling towards it whatever it is!
We have tenants, not 100% confirmed as there is still paperwork to go through, references to be taken etc. But they have paid a holding deposit and we should have everything signed and sealed a week from now.
We’ve set a date to hand the keys over which gives us a deadline for being out of the house. 3 weeks. 3 weeks!!!
I’ve handed my notice in and Ady has his letter drafted to print off, I’ve put a poster in the staffroom to arrange a meal out with my colleagues, I imagine Ady will have the same and we have a party planned with friends before we go. I’m expecting lots of teary goodbyes, promises to stay in touch and people torn between feeling envious of our adventure yet grateful to go home and sleep in a real bed at night!
So 3 week countdown to house plans go like this:
3 weeks to go:
- Friends to stay for a night who are taking 3 of our hens for rehoming. The tenants want to keep the rest of our chickens -yay!
- Trips to the tip for anything that isn’t worth freecycling
- Ebay listing of last few things we uncover potentially worth selling
- Freecycling anything that could be of use to anyone – already sent off a bike and a treadmill this weekend to new homes.
- Start arranging Zone three hosts.
- Begin boxing up stuff we won’t need in the last couple of weeks and clearly label boxes.
- Try and sell old washing machine for spares / repair
- Order years supply of mail order contact lenses
2 weeks to go:
- Get kitted out with workboots, waterproofs, thermals etc. We have a mix of these things but need to a proper inventory of clothing we have and clothing we’ll need and fill in the gaps. I have contacted some suppliers of work wear, boots and waterproofs to see if any companies wanted to sponsor us, have us give their products a really good test or let us review for them but no one has showered us with showerproof stuff!
- Email first round of hosts to confirm dates, give mobile number for contact etc. Draw up a map of locations with contact details to leave with a couple of people who will be keeping tabs on us to ensure we’re safe.
- Book van hire for Moving Day.
- Reduce contents of two freezers into one and two fridges into one, freecycle spares. If extra interest let people know a second one will be available in a weeks time
- Go through clothing and box up, give away or get ready to pack in campervan.
1 week to go:
- MOT van
- Do SORN declaration and cash in road tax for Sharan
- Cancel car insurance & breakdown cover
- Cancel house insurance and take out landlord insurance
- Finish boxing up house
- Revel in last baths, last sleeps in beds, last sits on sofas, last cookings in kitchen etc.
- Put together How To Guide to the house to leave for tenants
- Cancel all household bills
- Transport all stuff for keeping to my parents for storage
- Clean house
- Take meter readings
- Take some photographs of empty rooms
- Drop keys off with letting agent
We’ve had an incredibly productive weekend and totally cleared the garage and garden of everything except for a few garden tools which we have already agreed with the tenants we’ll be leaving. The chicken coop is all cleaned, raked over and we are leaving a full dustbin of bedding and another of food for them. We feel like we’ve had taster of bloody hard work (I spent over an hour chopping up firewood and nearly as long again moving logs about and we’ve all been hulking stuff in and out of the car and around the garden) and are looking ahead now ready to get started on the adventure.